Heffy Doodle challenge – Tone on Tone

Hi! Today I’m sharing a card I made for this month’s Heffy Doodle challenge (tone on tone projects). After searching my Heffy Doodle stash, I picked out the Hello Squeakheart stamp set and decided to make my own patterned paper background by repeatedly stamping the cheese image.

I mounted the image on an acrylic block, and “free range” stamped it in Wild Honey distress oxide, across a piece of textured yellow cardstock, changing the direction of the stamp, and ensuring that some went over the edge of the cardstock.

To colour the cheese, I used Copic markers in the following colours: Y17, Y15, Y13. I flicked the colour from the edge, towards the middle of the cheese, so it faded out into the background colour of the cardstock. For more detail on the colouring, please check out my YouTube video!

I then ink blended some fossilized amber distress oxide over a scrap of white cardstock, from the bottom up, so that there was a darker application at the bottom, fading into the white at the top. I then die cut the “Hey” sentiment die from Heffy Doodle from the ink blended card, so it had a nice gradient of colour. I then die cut two further “heys” from white card and stacked them behind, to give the sentiment some dimension.

To ensure the sentiment stood out from the similar-coloured background, I glued it to some adhesive vellum and fussy-cut a shadow layer around it. I adhered it to the card, then added the “squeakheart” sub-sentiment. To make this, I heat embossed the sentiment with white embossing powder on to some black card (adding my anti-static powder first to ensure a nice crisp finish). I then trimmed the sentiment down with a die, and added it to the card with foam dots.

To make sense of the “squeakheart” sentiment, I needed a squeaky creature, so I stamped out one of the mice from the set in Fossilized Amber ink, and coloured it simply using a Y35 copic marker for his patch, and W1 for some shading, I fussy cut the mouse, then added it with liquid glue above the sentiment.

I decided to trim down the card panel by 1/4″ on each side and add it to a white card base, using some craft foam to add some nice dimension. I like how it really made the panel “pop” and break up some of the monotone.

To finish the card. I added a few clear drops by Studio Katia, and I was done!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: